Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Feed Me?

I'm toying with the idea of staring a blog explicitly for food. In the last few months Tyler and I have been cooking fairly large complex meals twice a week. I'd like to keep a record of the recipes we try, how they turn out, and how we've changed them. My only concern is that I'm not a Foodie. I like the stuff, but I'm not picky, and some times a 50 dollar meal tastes the same as a free one. How can a non Foodie have a food blog? I have to admit it feels a bit deceptive.



OK, lets take a second to talk about pizza. New York and California style pizza are easily one of my favorite foods (not a fan of deep dish, sorry Chicago). In high school and one summer in college, I worked for a local "gourmet" pizza chain. Their questionable hiring practices and misogynistic ways aside, the food was pretty good. I learned a lot about what's good on a pizza and what everyone will like (mushroom and onion). Working around pizza constantly turned me off to it, but now that I've had some time to get over it, I'm completely on the band wagon.

Over the weekend I had some people over, and instead of ordering 90 dollars worth of pizza I made my own, not really from scratch. Trader Joe's is an amazing resource for homemade pizza. They have pre-made pizza dough, which is on par with what you would get at a pizza place, and way better anything I could make from scratch (though I've been working on it!). All the dough I've gotten has been exceptionally fresh, and has good gluten development. Their shredded cheese is of a high quality as well and they quite a variety. I'm a fan of the four cheese blend. As far as toppings go, I stay away from the produce, but they have a good selection of packaged meats (pepperoni and prochuto) and of course all kinds of canned and jarred stuff. The above pizza was made with left over dough, porchuto, pepperoni, mushrooms, and cheese. Quite tasty. Also, I think the key to amazing pizza, besides fresh ingredients, is a good pizza stone.

p.s. I need to get some batteries for my digital camera, until then it's all camera phone.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home