Thursday, November 6, 2008

Turmeric

I got a new camera, and I have no idea how to use it. Once I finally figure out that it's awesome I'll make a post with some awesome pictures. But for now here's a picture of some yarn I dyed with turmeric.



I started with an ounce of Cascade Eco Wool (I think in the 8010 white-ish) and pulled it into a loose hank. The yarn went in some warm water and vinegar to soak. Then I took a tablespoon of turmeric and ran boiling water over it coffee style (paper towel in a strainer), the water was instantly yellow and I probably could have used less then a tablespoon to get similar results. After squeezing the yarn out, I threw it in the really hot turmeric water and let it sit twenty four hours. When that was done, I squeezed out the yarn, and washed it in cold water with a little more vinegar, then hung it to dry. I'm really impressed with the color that the turmeric produced, it's way more saturated then I thought it would be, and so far hasn't rubbed off on anything. Most natural dyes fade with exposure to life and washing. I'll be curious to see how the color holds up, and what felting will do to it.

Now to go figure out my camera!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home