Friday, September 12, 2008

WHAT THE FUCK?!

So I just listened to a feature on All Things Considered (NPR) about race and the election, Does Race Matter In '08? The View From York, Pa.. For obvious reasons race is an issue this election year, and NPR went to Pennsylvania and put together a group of white, Latino, and black voters. They were asked questions about their own racial identity, how it's influencing their politics, and who their voting for and why. I think it's a valiant effort from NPR to talk about the elephant in the room in such a frank way, and to get people to admit to their own biases, but they should have made the whole 3hrs available. Here's a shocking quote that over shadows the whole show:
Leah Moreland, the woman who said she grew up sheltered from prejudice, plans to vote for McCain. Party loyalty is also part of her decision. But her cultural compass also comes into play. She says her gut tells her not to trust Obama.

"I look at Obama, and I have a question in my mind," she says. "Years ago, was he taken into the Muslim faith? And my concern is the only way you are no longer a Muslim is if you are dead, killed. So in my mind, he's still alive."

Although Barack Obama has said repeatedly he is not a Muslim and has never been a Muslim, Moreland is still unconvinced.

"There is something about him I don't trust," she says. "I don't care how good a speaker he is, I just can't trust him."


I don't even know what to say about this woman, and it disturbs me to no end that she isn't alone. She is the kind of person that would have put me in a camp during WWII. She is the kind of person that is going to destroy the United States.

Anyway, the rest of the segment is decent, and you should give it a listen. I'm going to try and forget about how fucked up everything is...

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Sharon Rose said...

People can really be appalling, can't they?

March 2, 2009 at 6:31 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home