Sunday, February 10, 2008

WTF is a Caucus Anyway?

I went to the Caucus on Saturday, and it was a zoo. This story starts a few weeks ago though, when a freshly printed voter registration card arrived at my parents house. I never told the government that I moved to Olympia, so moving back was no issue, however, they got wind of my move away from my parents in some way that is not known to me or anyone I've asked. I thought that I could just stay registered at my parents address till the moment hit when I realized that I was finally broken free of that whole deal, but some how the county got one up on me. So the card that was mailed to my parents address has my new address on it (umm what?) and I got to scamper around the web trying to figure out where the hell my caucus was supposed to be.

Anyway, found it, got dropped off, wandered around looking for the actual room for a while, and found one woman sitting with a sign for my precinct. She was not the PCO, but apparently we don't have a PCO, so she was sitting in. She had no idea what she was doing or where her glasses where. Eight more people tricked in, the last being a woman who did not trust the stand in PCO because she was wearing a Hillary Clinton sticker. I chatted with the people for a while about the neighborhood and then we got down to business. When it was all said and done our three delegates where divided 2 Obama 1 Clinton and I ended up being a delegate for Obama because no one else would.

Here's something weird that happened: One of the people I talked to before the caucusing happened was an older man with gray hair, glasses, a frumpy sweat shirt, and a quiet demeanor. He asked me and another young couple about the building I live in which was also the building they used to live in. He seemed extremely interested in our experiences with the neighborhood and what the building had to offer. He also mentioned the remaining condos being a good deal, and being familiar with the building. All the middle aged people I know talk a lot about housing prices and deals and all that jazz, and I thought being familiar with the building meant being a contractor or plumber or something. I live in a pretty large structure, and the ways you could be familiar with it are many. However, after the caucus was done with and I was leaving, he called me over and admitted to living on the floor above me. That was a little weird, it's not that I think he was dangerous, but it was creepy and I'm not sure how I feel about him knowing my name and apartment number. People are weird.

Overall the caucus was a positive experience, but I think it's true that most caucuses are filled with middle class educated people. The whole system is not very accessible to people who don't speak english or have mobility issues.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home