Monday, February 11, 2008

Audrey Kawasaki



I know this is going to sound super bitter, but I am over Audrey Kawasaki. I used to really like her work because it was esthetically pleasing and I guess the imagery was something that I felt some attachment to. Conceptually, her works never done anything for me, but when I first started seeing it that was ok. Kawasaki had a solo show opening over the weekend at Copro Nason Gallery in Santa Monica and pretty much every art blog I read creamed their pants over it. Here's the list of evidence: Boing Boing, Cool Hunting, Right Some Good, and NotCot.org. There's also an announcement and after opening post on Kawasaki's blog, but that can't be held against her or as a part of the collective cream. I think Kristen Anderson says it best (on Right Some Good), "More of the same of her slightly sinister, enigmatic girls, but so incredibly well done." Yes, Kawasaki is a great painter, but I'm sick of conceptually dead, pretty pictures. In the grand scheme of things, my opinion doesn't really matter, but some times you just have to bitch.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home