Sunday, January 20, 2008

Life Without a Salad Spinner

I have a confession to make: Today, is the first day in my life that I have purchased lettuce in not bagged/boxed form. My excuse it pretty lame as well, I've only recently started eating salad on a regular basis. When I moved out, my pallet really made a point of shifting away from all the foods that my mom insisted I eat that I didn't like. Salad was a probably the biggest. Now, however, I'm starting to be more health conscious, and with so much processed food in the world, a pile of greens sounds pretty damn good. Salad in a bag was really easy for me and had decent results, but it's too expensive so today I said "NO MORE!" I bought a head of red leaf lettuce, radicchio, and some kind of butter lettuce. All this had to be rinsed in cold water, and then I went though half a roll of paper towels trying to get the leaves dry. Excuse two for not buying unbagged lettuce: no salad spinner. I had absolutely no idea that a salad spinner was so important to the whole salad experience; dressing doesn't stick to wet leaves, toppings get soggy, and so on. I refuse to accept this, and I refuse to spend $30 on a salad spinner, so I turned to google. I wasn't expecting much, but there it was! A no cost salad spinner. The author cites this invention to a cooking show off the food network, in which the host wraps the salad greens in a towel and spins them to extract the water. One commenter said that she did the same thing with an old pillowcase, and I happen to have a pile of those. I grabbed a clean white case, threw the radicchio in and gave the thing a whirl, and hot damn! it actually worked. There is no need for me to buy a salad spinner, and there is no need for me to buy bagged lettuce ever again! I'm quite happy about this.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home