Saturday, January 12, 2008

World War Z

I picked up a copy of World War Z (Amazon) yesterday. I'm 50 pages into the book, and I'm really disappointed. I'm not sure what possessed me to buy this book, but I should have looked into it a little more before spending money on it. It's written by Max Brooks, the author of The Zombie Survival Guide, and from what Tyler has told me WWZ is similar to how the history of zombies is written. WWZ is divided into sections, and each section is made up several page personal accounts of the stages of war with zombies. I wouldn't say the writing is bad, but this format for a full length book is a big turn off for me because you meet a different character in each account, you start to like them, then they're done and you never hear from them again. I like to get attached to characters, learn about them, and be sad when they bow out. This book is basically speed dating.

I don't think it's all bad though, the predictions Brooks makes about the future (right before the outbreak and after) are interesting. They follow how various countries rise to power, makes peace, and fall apart. It's also interesting to see how various people and organizations handle the idea of walking dead.

Thus far this book has made about the same impression as The DaVinci Code, which I hated. I don't think I'm going to hate WWZ but I doubt I would re read this, or recommend it to anyone but a zombie enthusiast.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home