Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Christmas Eve

Even in my most spiritual moments, I consider myself agnostic at most, so Christmas doesn't mean much to my life. The consumer in me does have a good time though, and now that I'm out of school and have a real job buying gifts is less of an issue.



Like the pictures says, I got Tyler a toy helicopter for Christmas (I didn't pay 80 dollars for it, wtf amazon?), and this is basically the nerdiest holiday ever because he's also getting Super Mario Galaxy. I'll admit that while shopping for gifts for him, I wanted to get something a little more... mature? cultured? not something my bosses 8 year old son would want? I did break down and face it though, Tyler would appreciate a subscription to Smithsonian, but it would not bring joy to his life, or spawn naked drawings. He was super excited when he opened the box, and then we had to rush off to the store to get batteries, and then (this was the really hard part) we had to wait half an hour for the thing to charge. The first flight was rocky, but full of grinning and edge of seat sitting. Seeing how happy Tyler was made me understand why parents are willing to go into debt over Christmas. There's a substantial wave of pride that washes over you when you know that the perfect gift was picked out, and it's making the person you love almost pee with joy. We'll see how mario does, but I definitely win this Christmas.

That picture with the helicopter is the first thing I've drawn in weeks, and I feel horrible about it. My new years resolution is to spend at least half an hour drawing everyday. Work and the gym take up a lot of my time, but I can stand half an hour less sleep!

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've learned that with any creative act when you try to set aside a block of time or specific hours it never works.

You're either inspired or you aren't.

December 24, 2007 at 2:21 PM  
Blogger Aimee said...

I have to agree that not being inspired does stifle creativity, but art is half thought and half practice. Drawing half an hour a day will at least put my technical skills to practice.

December 24, 2007 at 3:08 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home